Wednesday, November 2, 2011

     Fall is in the air!  For many people that means cooler temps, fall leaves, and football!  For artists and craftsmen, it simply means CRUNCH TIME!  Shows and sales are almost weekly between now and Christmas, and galleries are looking to stock up inventories.  Problem is, many of us have been drawing in sketch books, experimenting with new designs and materials..... oh fine, just admit it, we procrastinated!  And now we have weeks to do months worth of work.
    
     Recently I posted a photo on Facebook of my clay studio after a day of  blitzkrieg pottery.  Oddly enough, instead of  being ridiculed for the disastrous mess, most of the comments were very positive!    Then again, most of them were from artists....  ;)    I make no apologies.  I was measuring out chemicals to new glazes as the raku kiln raged outside, slide over to the sink to dip another vase, pet the dog, add some cobalt carbonate, wax another bottom, check the kiln...... you get the point!

     Is it necessary to have a studio space to be creative?  No,  but we don't really "need" a lot of things like shoes, transportation, the five senses.......  but we won't readily give these things up either.  A space of our own allows us to pursue our interest with minimal interruption.  Others occupants of the house are also shielded from the mess, noise, smell, and crazy mood swings when things aren't going quite as planned.  This photo of my clay studio reveals WAY too much about my working habits!  The other half of the studio ( to the left of the photo ) is my painting and two dimensional workspace. 

     I feel very blessed to have so much room in my house dedicated to my artwork.  I also have a wood shop and outdoor kiln.  How did I bribe my wife out of so much square footage?  Her idea, actually!  Is she the best wife ever?  Well, yes actually;  in my mind for sure!  But it could also have something to do with her music room sporting a huge drum kit and keyboard.  or is it the concert marimba, snare drum and guitars that reside in the living room?  She is a brilliant musician and I love hearing her play the wide variety of instruments.  Currently the last remaining spare room is being converted into a library/reading/listening room.  This will make roughly 75% of our house into creative space.  All inhabited by our cow sized dog who has a "creative" streak of her own.  Emphasis on streak, as in "streaks" of drool stuck to impossible places!  But she watches over the place for us and we love her dearly.  The one thing both of our "studios" are missing?  More time to use them! 

     

2 comments:

  1. You have an incredible work space! Officially jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Rex!
    I love visiting your blog. It's quite high on my 'ways to procrastinate' list.
    and now... back to the studio!

    ReplyDelete