Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Few Of My Favorite Things....



That song....I can't get it out of my head!  Every Christmas we hear Julie Andrews list off a few of her favorite things as Maria in The Sound of Music.  Any list of favorite things is bound to be very subjective.  Yet the song tells us that no matter what our favorite things are, thinking of them when you're down is sure to lift your spirits.  Even dog bites and bee stings can be forgotten with thoughts of kitten whiskers and apple strudels!  O.K., I can see the point with apple strudel..... Mmmmm... [ note: add apple strudel to own list. ]  What brings a smile to your day?

   This past weekend I was walking through our living room with "the song" running through my head when I stopped and took notice of the great collection of art on display.  What makes our collection so endearing is not the popularity of the names signed on the pieces, but the meaning behind each one.  Several are gifts or purchases from dear friends.  Others are small pieces purchased at shows where wide eyed new artists were just getting their feet wet.  And some are things I've made over the years that I just can't part with.  The item at the top of the page is something my Uncle Larry made for me before he passed away.  He called them "Chicken Balls", and would laugh out loud every time he said the words.  We had a lot in common including our sense of humour and I miss him dearly.  But every day I pass his Chicken Balls and can't help but smile.  A perfect example of a "favorite thing". 

   Below are some photos of other items that carry the distinction of being labeled "favorite" for various reasons.  Enjoy!

A stunning pen & ink with watercolor from a young lady in Oak Ridge.  It depicts the story of a Japanese Snow Princess, with the text written in the background.  Cindy and I fell in love with this at the Open Show and it become the first real art purchase we made together.


A platter from Anne Snijders. 
LOVE this piece!!!

Goldfish by Tina Curry.  I tried to win a pair of these in a silent auction, but was out bid by my friend Roger the back-stabber art thief, grrrrrr...... ( just kidding, Roger. )  In comes Tina to the rescue!  She tells me she has a better pair I can get!  Take THAT, Roger!!!  Tina is an incredible sculptor and a sheer delight to be around.



A pot by Bill Capshaw.  Bill is the person responsible for me getting into ceramics and has been a splendid mentor.  We have several of his pots, but this one has always been my favorite.  It is the ultimate, "Hey, look at me!!!" piece in the room.


A copper plate etching..... One of my first purchases and still one of my absolute favorites.


Two small tri-pod dishes by Jane Cartwright.  She is not only a phenomenal friend, but one of the most creative people I know.  These particular dishes are two of Cindy's favorite things.  I have it on good authority that the model for the dog was our newf, Lance! 


The centerpiece of our living room!  The photos are of Lance and Katie.  Even though Lance is now gone, we have this giant daily reminder of how silly humans can ruin a good dog walk by taking out the camera!  The marimba is our pride and joy.  Cindy because she never thought she would actually get to own one, and me because it brings her so much happiness. 


A collection of etchings, prints, and photos of domed architecture.  The bottles are some pieces I made that seemed to be a perfect fit for the collection.  I've always had a love for unique architecture, and it's funny how that interest has influenced my work through the years.  The dead stick is also a good representation of how bad I am at keeping things alive out in the yard! 
  So, look around you.  What is it that brings a little smile to your face when you're feeling down.  A photo?  A child's drawing on the fridge?  A television the size of a roadside billboard?  Or just simply the company that you keep?  Take time to smell those proverbial roses and and put your worries of the day on the back burner.  Aaaah... that's better.   The Sound of Music, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. I adore your writing...it is very "visual", Rex. That is the storyteller in you coming out. Keep up your "comments" and storyboard for all of us to enjoy. Thank you for sharing (your thoughts and feelings). Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first moved back to Knoxville, Ann gave me one of your Raku pieces for Christmas. I boo-hooed when I opened it. I think it caught everyone off guard (even me!). But you know, it meant something, that my best friend was giving me another friend's work. And gosh, all of our friendships span back to the now defunct Court Galleries. That was a long time ago!! Your raku vase is one of my favorite things. It sits right beside my Bill Capshaw piece, which is another favorite.

    I enjoyed taking a peek at your beloved art. You and Cindy should come over for dinner sometime so the pugs can maul you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The horse etching is absolutely my favorite as well!

    ReplyDelete